LAST UPDATED: December 2019
Overview of Use of Services and Information Collected
For each visitor to or user of In-N-Out’s Services, In-N-Out’s Web server automatically recognizes and stores computer-readable information, such as the visitor’s IP address and domain name combination. This is typically anonymous information automatically provided by your computer. In-N-Out uses this information to follow visitor traffic patterns through the Services to improve user experience. If your Internet browser employs blocking or “Do Not Track” technology that limits recognition or the collection of such computer-readable information, In-N-Out will not alter or bypass such technology. In-N-Out does not provide access to third parties to track your personal information through your use of the Services.
When you visit or use the Services, In-N-Out may use "cookies" to store certain information on your computer that allows us to customize your visit to In-N-Out’s Services or to simply facilitate signing in to the Services. Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but your browser settings can be adjusted to erase or block cookies or receive a warning before a cookie is stored. Please refer to your browser instructions or help screen to learn more about these functions.
In order to provide some of our services to you, including on-line purchases or comment entries, In-N-Out may ask for some of your personal information, including your email address, name, mailing address, telephone number, or persistent identifier (such as a customer number held in a cookie). You should provide such personal information accurately, so we can communicate with you, perform services for you, or process your requests relating to any of your information that we have.
If you need to inform us about any changes to your personal information, or any changes you wish to make to In-N-Out’s retention of your information, you can contact us through the “Contact Us” page at in-n-out.com or by using the contact information below.
Information Collected by In-N-Out
- Identifiers: names, signatures, aliases, postal addresses, telephone numbers, unique personal identifiers, online identifiers, Internet Protocol addresses, e-mail addresses, Social Security numbers, driver’s license numbers, passport numbers, employment history, credit card numbers, bank account numbers, debit card numbers, medical information, health insurance information, or other similar identifiers
- Information protected against security breaches: names, Social Security numbers, driver’s license numbers, passport numbers, credit card numbers, bank account numbers, debit card numbers
- Protected legal characteristics: race, gender
- Commercial information: product shipment addresses, purchase histories
- Internet activity: information on customers’ interactions with the Services, interaction with social media sites maintained by In-N-Out
- Audio information
- Employment information: employment history within or outside In-N-Out
- Educational information from education history
- Geolocation data
- Inferences about personal preferences: use of or visits to the Services; product purchases and reviews
Please note that different jurisdictions may have varying definitions for personal information. You should check with local resources to determine how personal information is defined where you reside.
Sources of Information Collected by In-N-Out
In-N-Out may collect personal information through these sources:
- Customers providing information directly to In-N-Out, such as through In-N-Out’s “Contact Us” page, calls or e-mail made to our Customer Service department, or calls or e-mail to other In-N-Out departments
- Customers using the Services
- Employment applications
- Points of purchase for In-N-Out’s products and services
- Social media sites maintained by In-N-Out
- On-line purchases or donations
- Vendor data used to provided services to In-N-Out
- Information provided at In-N-Out events or locations
- Information provided to obtain In-N-Out food services
- Geographic data and preferences from use of mobile applications
Use of Information
When In-N-Out receives your personal information, we may use your information or disclose your personal information to third parties in the following instances:
- you request or authorize it
- to satisfy a reason or request for which you provided the information
- to complete a transaction, donation, purchase, or payment
- to prevent fraud
- to respond to communications from you
- to process employment applications or employment history inquiries
- to help you locate In-N-Out Burger restaurant locations
- to provide, personalize, develop, and support the Services and other services provided by In-N-Out
- to perform research on consumer preferences and habits
- to comply with laws, regulations, governmental and quasi-governmental requests, court orders or subpoenas, and legal investigations
- to protect the rights, property, safety, and security of In-N-Out, you, and others
- to allow our agents, outside vendors, or service providers to perform functions on our behalf, such as order processing, merchandise shipments, and application processing
We may also gather aggregated data about you and disclose such aggregated data, without any personally identifiable information, to third parties for research purposes.
Purposes for Transactions of Personal Information
- Identifiers: personal identifiers, online identifiers, Internet Protocol addresses
- Internet activity: information on customers’ interactions with the Services and social media sites maintained by In-N-Out
- Geolocation data
- Security: protecting against fraud and malicious activity
- Related personal information: credit card numbers, debit card numbers, bank account information, names
- Short-term use: contextual ad customization that does not involve or contribute to profiling
- Related personal information: IP addresses, geolocation data, social media identifiers
- Performing services: customer service; processing transactions; marketing
- Related personal information: name, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, addresses, credit card numbers, debit card numbers, bank account information, geolocation data, purchase histories
- Internal research to develop or demonstrate technology
- Related personal information: geolocation data, social media identifiers, IP addresses, product purchases and reviews, unique personal identifiers
- Testing or improving the Services or other products and services provided by In-N-Out
- Related personal information: geolocation data, social media identifiers, IP addresses, e-mail addresses, voicemail, product purchases and reviews, unique personal identifiers, online identifiers
- Processing job applications and providing employment opportunities
- Related personal information: names, signatures, aliases, postal addresses, telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, Social Security numbers, driver’s license numbers, passport numbers, employment history, race, gender, education history
In-N-Out only shares this personal information to the extent necessary to fulfill these business purposes. We require such third parties to maintain security measures to ensure privacy and security for personal information.
Third Party Sites
Credit Card Purchases
In-N-Out may ask you to provide a credit card number in order to purchase a product. Credit card transactions are processed by a third party professional payment authorization service selected by In-N-Out to provide added security and reliability. Only the purchase price and the credit card information provided by you are supplied to this third party service. Information collected during credit card transactions is maintained in the service’s database for accounting and billing purposes and is not released to other third parties. In-N-Out does not maintain a copy of your credit card information on its servers and will not use your credit card information for any purpose other than processing your order.
Privacy Rights for California Residents
If you are a California resident, you have certain privacy rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) regarding your personal information. These include:
- the right to request In-N-Out to disclose what personal information is collected and how it is used;
- the right to request In-N-Out to disclose how it sells your personal information;
- the right of non-discrimination if you make a request about your personal information; and
- the right to opt out of having your personal information sold
You can submit requests about your information to the following:
4199 Campus Drive, 9th floor
Irvine, CA 92612
CCPA phone line: 855-427-7970
You may only make two requests over a 12-month period. In-N-Out will respond to your request within 45 days of receiving your request and will provide information from the 12-month period prior to your request.
There are some exceptions to these requests. For example, In-N-Out can keep your personal information for certain business purposes, such as processing payments for merchandise you order or undertaking internal research for our technological developments.
Additionally, the CCPA provides for certain exemptions, such that requests under the CCPA cannot prevent In-N-Out’s ability to:
- comply with federal, state, or local laws;
- comply with certain requests by legal authorities;
- cooperate with enforcement agencies;
- exercise or defend legal claims;
- collect, use, retain, sell, or disclose consumer information that is deidentified or aggregate consumer information;
- collect or sell personal information if all aspects of such transactions occur wholly outside California; or
- preserve evidentiary privileges
In some instances, In-N-Out may refuse to respond to such a request based on an exemption, a legal requirement, or other business or legal policy. In-N-Out will inform you as to the basis for refusing any such request.
In-N-Out’s home website page www.in-n-out.com also provides a “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” button that links you to an on-line form for submitting a request to not have your personal information sold.
In-N-Out takes great care in maintaining the security of your personal information and in preventing its unauthorized access by employing appropriate technology and internal procedures. When we transmit sensitive personal information through our Services, we protect it through the use of encryption, such as Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol. However, In-N-Out does not guarantee that unauthorized access is completely preventable in every circumstance, as no method of electronically storing or transmitting data is completely secure. It is highly recommended that you monitor your credit card activity and use of your personal information on a regular basis.
Notice Regarding Minors
In-N-Out does not intend to collect personally identifiable information from children under age 18 (or under the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence) without permission from a parent or guardian. In-N-Out strongly encourages all parents to supervise their children's on-line activities and regularly monitor their children's use of the Internet, including use of In-N-Out’s Services. Parents should consider using parental control tools and other services to assist them in supervising their children's on-line use or on-line disclosure of their name, address or other personal information without parental consent.
Request to Remove Posts by Minors
This provision only applies to In-N-Out’s Services and does not apply to any websites operated by third parties that may have content related to In-N-Out and its Services, such as social media sites. Also, this provision only applies to content that you post yourself and does not apply to content posted by third parties, even if it refers to you.
Use and Disclosure of Anonymous Aggregated Information
In-N-Out may collect, aggregate, and maintain anonymous information about our Services’ users, such as interests, purchasing habits, and the like. In-N-Out may use this information for tailoring content and advertising to deliver a better experience for our users. In-N-Out may also share such aggregate information about the Services’ users with business partners and other third parties for the purposes described above.
Revocations of Policy and Questions
4199 Campus Drive, 9th floor
Irvine, CA 92612
For California residents
CCPA phone line: 855-427-7970